73rd Tryon Block House Races,
the historic steeplechase of the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club
Saturday, October 5, 2019
Volunteers are an essential part of the success of any race day and of pre-race day preparation, set up and planning. Thank you for your willingness to participate in this year’s race. And know that we realize that we could not do it without you!
The following outlines Committees, Leads, and Volunteers positions
Parking & Grounds–
Volunteer Lead, Jody Bender (m.828.707.7453) & Mayor Jimmy Dancy
· Pre-Race hanging signs & banners
· Spectator Shuttle Cart Drivers
· Race Guide Sales Liason with Pony Club
Volunteer Lead, Kathryn Freeman (m.925.518.8174) & Carol Whaley (m.828.808.3481)
· Legend’s Club Tent and Race Tower Marshalls
· Trophies & Awards Table Marshalls
· Jockey Cart Drivers/keys
Refreshment Delivery– Volunteer Lead, Don Freeman (m.530.906.4655)
· All pre-race golf cart management
Volunteer HQ / Information-- Nancy Bayley (m.828.429.1003)
· Volunteer Tent Marshall: credentials, radios, infield golf cart keys, and lunch tickets.
Race Day Operations-- Volunteer Lead, Fred Bayley (m.828.429.5209)
· Amateur Videographers
· Pre-Race Stabling Steward
Vendor Marshall-- Volunteer Lead, Mary Jo Austell (m.704.692.1929)
PRIOR TO RACE DAY, PLEASE:
· Attend the Volunteer Orientation Thursday, October 3rd, from 5:30-6:30pm, Green Creek Race Course, 3381 S. NC Hwy. 9, Columbus, NC, behind the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club.
Please watch the following orientation video: Click here for video
Each Volunteer must sign a liability waiver once per year. Please click here to access the online waiver link.
We have created a Facebook group for all of the volunteers. Please click here to access the Facebook group.
· Take a tour of the new racecourse - Familiarize yourself with the layout of the venue, noting gates, EMS postings, infield parking areas & hospitality tents based on the maps
· Review your job description – Understand fully what you are being asked to do –what, when, where and for how long. Let us know if you have any questions and/or physical restrictions.
· Print out your parking pass – attached in an email that will be sent a week prior to the races. Place in your dashboard.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO – WHAT TO EXPECT & WHAT TO DO:
· Dress appropriately - Wear slacks or shorts, a white collared shirt, and comfortable, closed-toe shoes that are stable to walk on uneven terrain. All Leads are asked wear a blazer. (All volunteers are encouraged to wear a blazer.)
· Volunteer parking - Area marked on your map – in the infield. Enter through Gate 1 or Gate 2. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of your role/activity. We expect heavy traffic, so please allow plenty of time to arrive at the venue and park.
· Plan ahead - Gates will close when there is a horse on the racecourse and you will need to arrive/depart while the gates are open. Check the Event Schedule attached for the gates opening/closing.
· Check in at the Volunteer Tent upon arrival – Volunteer tent is adjacent to the parking area; it will be open all day, and there you will pick up:
o Lunch ticket
o Radio and/or golf cart (if specified)
o Bottled drinks and snacks – keep your energy up!
· Lunch – Please see your lunch ticket at the TIEC “diner” in the infield. You may eat your food in the volunteer tent, or wherever you choose. Also, feel free to take a break at any time as long as you get someone to cover your position while you are away.
· Check out - At the end of your shift, return your credentials, radio, and/or golf cart to the Volunteer tent. At that time, you will be given a swag bag full of goodies.
Green Creek Race Course
6881 S. NC Hwy. 9
Columbus, NC 28722